Friday, September 3, 2010

The bad kind of common

Well, as the second week of college comes to an end, I've started to get the hang of things. I've comprised my habits and goals into 5 helpful hints to hopefully keep my stress level down this semester.

1.) I've already gotten used to my schedule, and now know what time I need to leave my dorm in order to get to classes about ten minutes early to get a good seat.
2.) I've gotten in the habit of going straight to Scholar and my email first before checking my Facebook. 
3.) By planning my time wisely, I have my materials read, or completed ahead of time.
4.) Staying ahead of the schedule with math quizzes and tests, really helps lower my stress level.
5.) Taking a nice, much needed nap during the day is definitely refreshing!

 Just as I began to settle in, organize my schedule of work, and get used to everything, the wonderful common cold comes to visit. And let me tell you being stuck in the hot, muggy 6th floor of Slusher Tower definitely doesn't help being sick! Feeling crummy, all I wanted to do was sleep, nap, anything but sit in front of the computer or book and do my work. I knew that it would not help me out in any of my classes if I just slept instead of studying. So, I had to compromise with myself and do as much studying as possible, but take breaks or naps to keep me from getting even more sick. Even with my cold, I managed to learn and use these 5 helpful hints (with some compromise) throughout the week.  Luckily, I didn't get as sick as some of my friends, so I was able to still attend all my classes and not miss out on anything. 
By making it through this week with a cold, I have added another helpful hint for myself:

6.) When stressed or sick, make compromises with your body.

College has helped me to be much more self disciplined than I ever was. Now that I'm on my own, I have to be sure to keep up with my studies, and I have to be sure to keep up with my health! Although, I've only had minor challenges to cope with, it has opened up my eyes and shown me that I need to be ready to deal with challenges. I'm sure my list will continue to grow as I continue college, but as for now, keeping this list of 6 helpful hints will help me to make it through until the next challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment