Sunday, August 29, 2010

A whole new ball game

As I started college, I realized things were going to be very different this year.

First off, I was in charge of keeping myself focused. Going to my first two days of classes I found myself getting distracted very easily and glancing at the clocks more often than I needed. This made me realize, “Hey! You need to stop worrying about the time and focus on what the teacher is talking about or else you won’t make it in this class.” Hopefully the boring classes will test me to teach myself how to pay attention, even if it’s not super interesting! Next week, I should find out!

Secondly, school doesn't start at 8 a.m. and end at 3 p.m. everyday. My first class could start at 12:20 p.m. and I might not have another class that day until 4 p.m. I have less class hours in a week and time in between classes to take a break to study, eat, or relax. Having more free time will teach me time management, which I have needed to work on for years! I’ve always thought I could fit more into my schedule than I actually could. Being independent, I have to balance my time wisely, which means: getting to classes on time, getting enough sleep, studying and getting homework done, while allowing myself free time to relax as well.

Finally, I'm also in charge of my life. I have to make sure that I'm up on time, get to my classes on time, keep my room from smelling like a landfill, along with a whole bunch of other things! This means no more parents to help do my stuff for me. Scary thought. I have always been an “organized messy” person, as my best friend says. Sadly, I have to agree. I know where all my stuff is, and have set places for them, but I don’t keep it as clean and neat as most people. Living with another person has actually helped me to become a neater at my organization skills already!

Getting used to these changes reminded me of the saying "A whole new ball game" because it really is like learning a whole different "game" as one might put it. High school was like T-ball with everyone helping you through the "game" or classes, whereas college is like the big leagues! In college there is not someone beside you to help you through every little thing, you have to rely on yourself, and push yourself to become better.

No comments:

Post a Comment